Methods of NFP
- Help you observe and track signs and symptoms of fertility
- Are based on daily observations
- Monitor health and ovulation
- Determine if women are fertile or infertile on any given day, using a set of “rules”
- Can be used to help achieve or avoid pregnancy
- Involve abstaining from sexual relations at certain times if avoiding pregnancy
- Have a 97-100% effectiveness rate*
- Are taught by trained instructors to assist you in learning how to chart your cycle
|Method||Billings Ovulation Method ®||Creighton Model||Marquette Method||Sympto-Thermal Method (Couple to Couple League)|
|Urinary Hormone Levels||✓|
|Is There an App?||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Perfect Use Effectiveness Rate (at avoiding pregnancy)||98.9%||98.7-99.5%||98-99%||99.4-99.6%|
|Typical Use Effectiveness Rate||89.5%||83-97%||86-93%||98-99%|
|Cost*||~$135 to learn method (typically includes all materials and follow-ups)||~$45/one hour session (8 sessions); $35 flat fee for materials||$125-$175 per training course, $175/Clearblue Fertility monitor, plus $18-20/month test strips||$135 plus shipping (includes classes and materials)|
|Learning format||In-Person/Virtual||In-Person/Virtual||Virtual||In-Person/Virtual/Self-Paced Online|
|Comments||Widely used for its simplicity. Can diagnose and treat gynecologic/fertility problems such as infertility and PCOS.||Used with NaPro Technology trained doctors to help diagnose and treat feminine health issues such as infertility, homonal imbalance, cycle irregularities, and miscarriages.||Only method that uses actual hormone levels to chart. Very reliable for post-pardum.|
All Marquette Method instructors are licensed healthcare professionals!
|Uses the most cross checks for fertility. Taught by couples to couples.|
The best method is the one that is best for you – you have flexibility and choices to learn different methods that fit your changing needs or different stages of life!
* Costs to learn may vary per instructor or method of learning. Some insurances may cover some or all costs of learning.
Once you choose a method, learn from a trained Instructor
NFP Apps & Devices
There are many apps and devices available to assist with tracking fertility. Each of the 4 main methods of NFP listed above have their own approved app for charting. Using an app helps you to store your data and share your chart with your instructor or doctor. Be aware that that not all fertility apps and devices are in line with methods of NFP.
A few words of caution:
- We do not recommend using an app or device as a replacement for learning an actual method of NFP.
- Some apps claim to be endorsed by a specific method of NFP, when in reality they are not approved by the method itself. Fact check before using an app.
- We recommend first learning one of the four major methods, and then using an app or device to supplement and cross-check your practice.
- The app or device may advise the use of contraception during the fertile phase (if trying to avoid pregnancy), which is not in line with Catholic teaching (see Catholic teaching page).
- Many of the apps available use a standard cycle length, which may not apply to all women, or may use an algorithm to determine fertility/infertility that may not be personalized to the individual woman.
- Using an app or device exclusively does not allow you to consult an instructor or doctor if you notice irregularity in your cycle or have a question – see below.
ClearBlue Fertility Monitor
- The monitor reads urine tests to track hormone levels and identify fertile days
- Used in conjunction with the Marquette Method
- Armband that you wear while sleeping
- Collects data on temperature, sleep patterns, and more to give a full picture of your fertility
- Used in conjunction with the Sympto-Thermal Method
- Fertility Pinpoint™ – official Billings charting system
- NFP Charting Online – approved as an authentic app for Billings
- Marquette Fertility App – official Marquette app (still under development). Users referred to Read Your Body App.
- CycleProGo – official Couple to Couple League Sympto-Thermal app
- LadyCycle – mainly for Sympto-Thermal method
- FertilityCare App – Unleash the power of your cycle with the Creighton Model App
NOTE: Each NFP method MUST be taught by a certified instructor and/or medical professional in order for you to have the proper education, practice, and understanding of the method. Through this website, you will find information on how to connect with an instructor and class. If you need any help in that contact, please contact us at (315)472-6754 EXT 6 OR email@example.com).
NFP is very effective in helping couples identify the optimum time for conception. With regard to spacing or limiting pregnancies, NFP is up to 99% successful when couples understand the methods, are motivated, and follow their method’s guidelines. Sources: See “Research in Natural Family Planning: A Review of Studies from 1998-2003,” in Current Medical Research, 14 (Summer/Fall 2003). For foundational studies, see Section II, “Effectiveness of NFP Method,” in Fehring and Kambic, Natural Family Planning Bibliography (1995): 9-12; available online here: Effectiveness of NFP Methods.
This site is not designed to nor does it provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, treatment or services to you or to any other individual.
Through this site and linkages to other sites, provides general information for educational purposes only. The information provided in this site, or through linkages to other sites, is not a substitute for medical or professional care, and you should not use the information in place of a visit, call, consultation or the advice of a physician or healthcare provider. “syracusenfp.org” is not liable or responsible for any advice, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or product you obtain through this site.
Information on specific NFP Methods presented on this site is NOT intended to prepare you to teach any of these methods to your patients or use them yourself. You should contact one or more of the named providers for information on learning or becoming an instructor of one of these methods.